MY SIACHEN REMINISCENCES-PART-III
On 04 August 1988,I had acute stomach pain and was taken to hospital. After tests, was diagnosed suffering from Viral Hepatitis( Jaundice) and was referred to Command Hospital Chandigarh. On 10 August was airlifted and admitted to command Hospital which was located in sector 11 near PGI. I remained in hospital for treatment and was discharged in Oct 88 end . Stayed in transit camp for 6-7 days since no flights were operating due to inclement weather. After reaching Partapur halted for one night and moved to base camp which is gate way to main glacier through Nubra river.
Due to jaundice and medical condition, was weak. I had valid and genuine reasons to skip and escape difficult, hazardous and risky Siachen tenure. However soldier in me was very adamant and strong. Soldiering means professional conduct, self respect and self esteem wherein one need to be with men in most difficult and hostile and hazardous tenure to earn their respect and also have respect for ones conscience.
On 19 Nov 1988, after mandir parade, I started my journey with Operator Murugan and Technical Assistant Nk T K Rathnam and traversed camp 1,II,III and reached KUMAR( Named after legendary Mountaineer Col Narinder Kumar on 22 Nov 1988). I acclimatised at Kumar and was briefed that ,I have to be OP officer at Ashok in Billafondlla complex.
I started again on 25 Nov and enroute met gunners at "SEHJRA " gun position and reached company base where met company commander Maj (later Brig and DIG in BSF) Pannuli who incidentally was my commando instructor.
My Operator and TA stayed back at company base and I started my further climb to post. Climb to Ashok is difficult and treacherous and is by aluminium ladder which is fixed at an angle of 90 degrees. As one climbs is watched by men from top and encouraged. I was frankly shivering with fear as one wrong step may lead to fall in icy grave inside wide open crevice.
Reached U cut had hot tea and started to Ashok through tunnel of ice to avoid observation by Pakis who fire on any movement. Reached at Ashok and could see happy, flashing and blushing face of man who was being replaced by me. He seemed to be most happy man on the earth.
The infantry officer there was 2LT Patil, a very energetic officer from AOC who never bothered about his personal well being and safety and very popular among subordinates and liked by seniors due to his postivity and professionalism.
The posts across Billa valley were Bana and Sonam and Pak posts connecting U cut and Ashok ridge were Tota ridge, about 300 metres down and away, New bunker and beyond were pistol ridge, link track and camel back. Further beyond and about 12 Kms away was their suspected gun position and also first Pak village.
The stay at post was difficult and hazardous due to extreme cold conditions ,full of adventurism due to every day shelling and firing from both sides, however camaraderie of gallant Kumauni's made hostile conditions and environment light and safe. Enjoyed the tenure their till came down after completion of stipulated tenure.----part -IV follows
Sir are you from BSF or Army.
ReplyDeleteAnd being a CAPF(AC) aspirant it's my humble to please keep writing on BSF.
Thank you.
exactly
DeleteThe officer is from IA who re-employed with BSF after attaining retirement from IA.
Delete